Venetian walls of Heraklion

Book your stay



create memories

Excursion Details

The Venetian walls of Heraklion are a large fortification project, with many engineers and craftsmen working on construction and spending huge sums. The walls began to be built in 1462 and were virtually completed in 1669, with the occupation of Chandaka by the Ottomans. The original designs of the Venetian walls were by Jano da Kombofregoso, then modified by Michel Sanmikeli and the final design is the work of Julio Sarvonian. The walls have a contour that resembles an isosceles triangle, with the north side being seaside and forming the base of the triangle and the Martingo Bastion, with the south end being the top of the triangle. [3] The coastal side of the walls is approximately 2.7 km long. The total length of the walls is approximately 7 km. On its landward sides there are seven bastions, the largest at the top of the triangular enclosure being the Bastion of Martínego. The wall had the following gates, Sampionara, St. George, Jesus, Martinengo, Bethlehem, Pantocrator, St. Andrew, Dermatas and the harbor or Molos.

Share it

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Room 1