fbpx

Sightseeing

Heraklion is the largest city in Crete.
The Market on 1866 Street and the side streets, the view of the harbor, the wall and the ditch from Ducos Beaufour Street the 25th of August street with many preserved neoclassical buildings. Eleftherias Square or Tri Kamares, the paved streets of Korai, Daedalou, Chandakos etc. and generally the historic center, the 2.2km jetty. The ride from Koule, along the sea wall and then to the Karavola area, the coastal walk to the bridge of the river Giofyros and then along the sandy beach, behind the Pancreatic Stadium, about 3 km in total. The area is ideal for leisure activities with continuous parks, bike lanes and more.

  • Koules

    Koules, Castello del Molo, Rocca a Mare, Castello a Mare, Castel di Candia or the former Castel di Candia is the Venetian fortress built by the Venetians at Heraklion. It is located at the entrance of the Venetian harbor in order to protect the port of Heraklion and the Castle of Paleokastro the bay of Ammoudara from invasions and landings of other conquerors.

  • Church of Saint Titus

    The church of Saint Titus is an Orthodox church in Heraklion, Crete, dedicated to Saint Titus. The present church was built in 1869 as the Yeni Mosque and in 1925 was dedicated to Christian worship. The church was declared a cathedral of the Archdiocese of Crete in 2013. The building is an eclectic four-storey temple with a dome. On the outer side of the temple are the vertical elements, while on the top there is a sculptured crest.

  • Venetian walls of Heraklion

    The Venetian walls of Heraklion are a large fortification project, with many engineers and craftsmen working on construction and spending huge sums. The walls began to be built in 1462 and were virtually completed in 1669, with the occupation of Chandaka by the Ottomans. The original designs of the Venetian walls were by Jano da Kombofregoso, then modified by Michel Sanmikeli and the final design is the work of Julio Sarvonian. The walls have a contour that resembles an isosceles triangle, with the north side being seaside and forming the base of the triangle and the Martingo Bastion, with the south end being the top of the triangle. [3] The coastal side of the walls is approximately 2.7 km long. The total length of the walls is approximately 7 km. On its landward sides there are seven bastions, the largest at the top of the triangular enclosure being the Bastion of Martínego. The wall had the following gates, Sampionara, St. George, Jesus, Martinengo, Bethlehem, Pantocrator, St. Andrew, Dermatas and the harbor or Molos.

  • Heraklion Archaeological Museum

    The Archaeological Museum of Heraklion is the museum that presents almost all of Minoan civilization. It is one of the largest and most important museums in Greece and one of the most important in Europe. Its exhibits include representative samples from all periods of Cretan prehistory and history, covering some 5,500 years, from the Neolithic to the Roman times. The unique masterpieces of Minoan art occupy a prominent place in his collections. The collection of Minoan antiquities is the most important in the world and the museum is considered to be the prime museum of Minoan culture.

  • Historical Museum of Crete

    The Historical Museum of Crete was founded in 1953 by the Society of Cretan Historical Studies and is housed in Heraklion Crete [1]. The museum presents an overview of Crete's history from the early Christian centuries to the modern era.

  • Museum of Natural History of Crete

    The Museum of Natural History of Crete (NFIC) of the University of Crete was founded in December 1980 by a presidential decree within the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Crete. It is based in Heraklion, Crete

Book any room in the Hotel MALENA and enjoy your stay with unforgettable moments of tranquility and comfort!